Friday, September 2, 2016

Review: Gotham Season 2 Episode 20, Unleashed [SPOILERS]

OVERVIEW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A very entertaining and action-packed episode in which Gordon goes after Galavan as Azrael, Nygma attempts an escape from Arkham, and we check back in with Penguin.

Penguin all dressed up
http://media.comicbook.com/2016/04/gotham-220-0034-hires1-179274.jpg


LOWS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
None.

MEDIUMS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Azrael's death
I like that at least there's a possibility that the "real" Azrael will eventually show up (he supposedly just disappeared in olden times). But I really liked Galavan as Azrael. I thought he was dark and menacing and soulless and a great villain. I'm sorry to see him go so soon.

2. Firefly

I was excited to see firefly back. I liked how they charred the Gotham logo for her. But I'm not sure how much her reappearance will amount to, since the season's already almost over.

3. Penguin
We see Penguin decide to go after Galavan, and Penguin's subsequent scenes are fun, but I worry.

I worry because he seems so much like his old self and so readily forgives Butch and Tabatha. At this point, Penguin's behavior could be an act or a temporary state of mind. But, it also may not be.

If it is an act or a temporary state of mind, it needs to be reasonably explained in the next episode.

Another option, I suppose, would be to explain it in the next season, since this season is almost over. I mean, Penguin seemed ok near the end of Season 2a, but was clearly not ok at the start of Season 2b, and I had no complaints about that

However, if Penguin's current behavior is not an act or a temporary state of mind...I'll be disappointed. The Gotham writers have written Penguin so well so far. Too well to have him pull a Selina Kyle now.

Selina, at the end of season one, became evil as a result of seeing Fish Mooney sail out of the mist on a boat. I couldn't understand Selina's reaction, until recently, when I saw a video of Camren Bicondova explaining that Selina saw Fish as a mother figure.

Ok, yeah. That makes sense. I remember the longing that Selina expressed when she told Bruce that her mother would eventually come back for Selina.

However, there was no indication that Selina saw Fish as a mother figure, and frankly, there needed to be. The story needs to speak for itself. It shouldn't have to be explained after the fact by actors on a panel.

I mean, I could come up with several, different explanations for why Penguin snapped back to his former self.

For example, maybe Galavan's return showed Penguin that there is always hope for his wishes to come true. A few episodes back, Penguin said that he wanted to be able to kill Galavan more than once. Impossible. And yet it happened.

I could see how, in a twisted way, this would instill a great sense of hope in Penguin. That hope could definitely fuel Penguin for some time.

The thing is I shouldn't have to come up with explanations of my own. The writers are supposed to tell you why the characters act the way they do, or at least, give you clues that allow you to figure it out with reasonable certainty.

HIGHS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Nygma and Selina
It is in this episode that Nygma decides to try and escape by himself, without his Arkham "friends", through the air vents. He had a hilarious encounter with Selina and showed us in the audience that he still has some good in him. 

Without asking for anything in return, he cautions Selina against entering Arkham because there are monsters in the basement. He does end up making a deal with her for his own benefit, but at least he cared enough to try and keep her out.

2. Barbs got kicked out of Butch's and Tabatha's place
Obviously, poor Barbara. But I think the fact that Tabatha let Butch kick out Barbara shows why Barbs didn't wake up from her coma thinking, "I need to reunite with Tabatha." She woke up thinking of Jim Gordon, Makes more and more sense all the time.


RATINGS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General: 8/10

Compared-To-All-The-Content-I've-Ever-Loved: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment